Sunday, March 13, 2016

Flow Line Mapping

   In this lab, our goal was to create a flow line map in Adobe Illustrator depicting immigration to the U.S. in the year 2007. The lab objectives were to be able to: assess design issues for flow line mapping, calculate proportional line widths using excel, utilizing AI to create a global scale flow map, and produce a final map that demonstrates proper cartographic and flow map design techniques.

My Map

   This map shows the proportion of immigration by continent to the U.S. in the year 2007. The choropleth inset map shows what percentage of immigrants went to which states. Adobe Illustrator was used solely to create this map. I utilized the pen tool to create my flow lines, the text tool to create my legend and map text, the rectangle tool to make my choropleth legend continuous, the direct select tool to implement same fill color to my continents, the 3D and Bevel effect to stylize my flow lines, the transparency feature to prevent my flow lines from covering other map features, and stroke color to make my flow lines better represent the continent they come from.

No comments:

Post a Comment