Sunday, February 28, 2016

Choropleth Mapping

   In this lab, our goal was to create a choropleth map showing overall population densities in European countries and tie in wine consumption using either graduated or proportional symbology. Our objectives were to be able to choose an appropriate color scheme, classification scheme, symbology, and legend. Additionally, we compiled our maps in accordance with cartographic design principles and polished up the end result in Adobe Illustrator.
 
My Choropleth Map
 
 
 
   The purpose of this map is to display population density in European countries and the wine consumption percentage of those countries. I started off the project in ArcMap with choosing a color scheme for my data. I chose a sequential color scheme to display the unipolar data. I used a part-spectral scheme of yellow-to-orange-to-redish-brown. Next, I chose my data classification scheme. I decided on quantile because it showed the most variation among countries while refraining from being too mono-colored. Then, I used graduated symbology to display the wine consumption data. I felt this better portrayed the percentage of wine consumption. Lastly, I touched up my map in AI. I manually labeled the countries, gave it a title, and wrote a short synopsis. 

No comments:

Post a Comment